Hate speech in the Social Web
Discussions in the social Web too often include parts that must be classified as hate speech attacking a person or group on the basis of attributes such as gender, ethnic origin, religion, race, disability, or sexual orientation.
In this project the group shall:
- Determine a use case where hate speech plays a major role
- Consider methods to deal with hate speech:
- Automated discovery (text mining, network mining)
- Crowd-based discovery
- Efficient management of participants using hate speech (banning, involvement in pacifying discussions, etc.)
- Definition and enforcement of hate-speech policies
Prerequisites: The topic lends itself to a broad range of different approaches that may be tackled by social scientists, data analysts, legal experts, etc.